Monday 3 June 2013

Rainbow Chunky Knit Lace Scarf


My young daughter keeps wearing my scarves whenever she sees them, including when there is one around my neck. She usually wears them and puts them somewhere in her room instead of putting them back away so I never know where they are. So I thought I would make her a new one of her own, hopefully one that she would want to wear instead of mine. I mean, it would be lovely to be able to wear my own scarf on those chilly mornings when I leave early for university.

I went to my local Lincraft store and seen a rainbow yarn that I loved straight away, I knew my daughter would too. It was a chunky yarn and so I thought about knitting in a plain pattern, but I have been wanting to knit a lace pattern for a little while. So I did an internet search and came up with an easy and cute pattern. I tried it out and it looked great.

You can find the "Old Shale" pattern that I used for this project HERE. (Keep scrolling down the page to find it).
NOTE that you will need to know how to knit for this project, if you do not know how then you can always ask someone to teach you (my wonderful mother taught me years ago) or teach yourself by watching videos from the net. Youtube has a lot of video tutorials but so do some of the other great knitting sites.

I followed the pattern exactly and loved it so much, it was so easy. I bought 2 x 100g balls of "Veronica" wool but only used about one and a half balls. I am planning on making another item with this wool for her so will use this and buy some more shortly. I used size 7 needles (as the label of the wool suggested) but I am a very tight knitter so I probably should have used a size or 2 bigger. It would have made the lace pattern a bit more visible as well I guess. I didn't block this piece as I have read that acrylic wool doesn't always need it and it wasn't a piece that needs to be an exact size. Plus my daughter just would not have been very patient for that sort of thing to take place.



And here is the finished scarf. The pattern is slightly different on both sides which I think is unique, I like both the right and wrong side look of this pattern. The finished length was ... and the width was.....
It was a simple pattern to follow and it took me only a few hours, my favourite kind of project.



I really wanted to add a fringe but my daughter was not so patient, she wanted me to finish it up and give it to her quick smart. She loved it and I think it turned out wonderfully. My daughter loved the curved pattern, she thought it was fitting in rainbow yarn as the curved lines looked like rainbows all over the scarf  :)



Here is a quick tip for stopping your ball of wool from rolling all around on the floor as you knit. Place a small box or container (a shoe box is ideal) either next to you or on the floor by your feet. Place your ball of wool inside and knit as normal. The ball will roll around in the box instead of on the floor, keeps your wool clean and in reach at all times (I know that  I absolutely hate it when my ball of wool travels across the room all of a sudden).


Let me know what you think, especially if you try it out for yourself  :)
Don't forget to check back often to see what I will knit next. Thanks for reading  :)

15 comments:

  1. 'Love those colors! Scarves are so nice on cold morning! -Marci @Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes they are essential in keeping warm :)

      Delete
  2. I got your comment on my changing table desk. So I came over to check it out. Love your tutorials.
    Jackie
    Delectably Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how to knit, but I love the yarn you chose! So bright and fun!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love using unique yarn in my projects :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for commenting on my tutorial over at The TipToe Fairy. I love your idea for not rolling the ball all over the floor. I do that all the time. I'm definitely finding a shoe box or something small to put it in next time I'm crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, I'm glad this tip will come in handy for you as well :)

      Delete
  5. Just stopping by to say hi! We would love to have you share your recipes on our new sister site - MyRecipeMagic.com. It's helps drive traffic back to your blog. Hope you'll stop by to check it out!
    -The Six Sisters
    http://myrecipemagic.com/home/recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will be checking it out shortly :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Missy Lee, thank u for stopping by and for the follow....so glad to follow u back....this is a cool scarf you have knitted....its long time since I have done so knitting and its high time I dusted off my knitting pins again....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nisa. I love knitting, so much you can create with some needles and wool. I look forward to your posts :)

      Delete
  7. I so wish I could knit. My mother has tried teaching me several times but I'm not coordinated enough. Welcom and thanks for coming by and partying with us at Fluster Buster's Creative Muster, I hope we'll see you again. New follower via G+

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. Following you back and look forward to your posts :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you Cathy, I love your blog and have so much fun every week at your parties. Always look forward to your posts, you have such great recipes :)

    ReplyDelete